This series will be following the roller coaster ride that has been buying my first house and then turning it into a home.
The first step in deciding to purchase a house is deciding where it is that you want to live. There are quite a few factors to take into consideration such as the following.
- Children- Do you have kids or are you planning on having them in the near future?
- What type of home do you want? House, Condo, Apartment?
- How far are you willing to commute?
- Do you want a place that is walkable or are you okay with driving everywhere?
- Do you want a lot of land or a small lot?
- How many square feet do you want?
This is my first house so one of the most important factors to me was resale value. I wanted something that I could have as an investment and sell when I’m ready to do so. This means that I wanted a popular area with a good school district.
Once I decided on an area, I started listing out my needs and my wants.
My list of deal breakers was relatively short. My house had to have at least a 1 car garage, basement, at least one bathtub, and an area outside that either had a deck or somewhere to put one. Some of the things I wanted were a finished basement, 2 car garage, bungalow style, open floor plan, more than 1 bathroom, a deck off of the dining room.
After 13 offers and walking through over 100 houses, I finally found a house that met all of my necessary criteria as well as most of the checks on my list of wants.
I will soon be closing on my very first house and will begin the never-ending list of projects I have planned. Stay tuned for updates and projects on this new adventure of mine!